- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
LOVERRO: World Series owners Lucchino, DeWitt might have changed Orioles’ history
Question of the Day
DeWitt held a press conference the day after he and Angelos purchased the team and said he would be the franchise’s “baseball man” when it would come time to sign free agents and make trades. He said he looked forward to a “more active role” in baseball than his minority ownership in Texas. Lucchino believed he was part of that more active role as well.
They became partners again in a bid to buy the Pittsburgh Pirates, but Lucchino dropped out of that venture to join John Moores in his deal to purchase the San Diego Padres from television executive Tom Werner (now a partner with Lucchino in the Red Sox ownership). Dewitt got the chance to own his hometown team when he purchased the Cardinals in 1996.
Since then, both men have made their respective franchises among the most successful in baseball. Lucchino, the mastermind behind Camden Yards and who got the new ballpark in San Diego built, has saved Fenway Park through creative refurbishing. DeWitt oversaw the development of a new Busch Stadium in St. Louis.
“In hindsight, I’m glad that Baltimore didn’t work out,” he told me.
He is not likely the first person to have said that.
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Redskins should be great before declaring greatness
- LOVERRO: Hall of Fame is one birthday present A-Rod will never unwrap
- LOVERRO: These are Bruce Allen's Washington Redskins now
- LOVERRO: CBS Sports leaves broadcasters hanging in Redskins name debate
- LOVERRO: Who are the men behind D.C. 2024 curtain?
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world