- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: China a cause for U.S. concern
While very few Americans would be likely to care about the story “China smog emergency shuts down city of 11 million people” (Web, Oct. 21), the future implications for the United States are potentially immense.
China’s population of 1.3 billion is static only because of the strict 34-year enforcement of their one-child policy. In addition to the referenced massive pollution, the water table of their Northern Plains breadbasket is down. China is in bad shape.
Contrast this with the nation’s large-scale military buildup amid rising nationalism and a belief in racial superiority stoked by a communist dictatorship. China’s economy is poised to eclipse ours by the end of the decade, while it owns increasing amounts of our national debt.
In light of these factors, it may be only a matter of time before the Chinese begin to believe that they, rather than we, should be enjoying this land of milk and honey.
West Jefferson, Ohio
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress