- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Matt Williams will be named manager of the Nationals
Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com first reported the news with a Twitter update that said the team would also try to keep bench coach Randy Knorr in that job. Knorr was one of the finalists for the manager’s job.
The Nationals won’t say anything publicly until after the World Series, conforming to baseball etiquette that dictates no news detract from the sport’s premier event.
Williams has been a coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks for four seasons and has limited managerial experience in the Arizona Fall League. The 47-year-old Williams, a five-time All-Star with 378 career home runs, knows Rizzo from Rizzo’s days as scouting director with the Diamondbacks.
Williams will inherit a team that had the best record in baseball during the 2012 regular season at 98-64. The Nationals were expected to be a World Series conteder in 2013, but they missed the playoffs after posting an 87-76 record.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014