- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Matt Williams will be named manager of the Nationals
Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com first reported the news with a Twitter update that said the team would also try to keep bench coach Randy Knorr in that job. Knorr was one of the finalists for the manager’s job.
The Nationals won’t say anything publicly until after the World Series, conforming to baseball etiquette that dictates no news detract from the sport’s premier event.
Williams has been a coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks for four seasons and has limited managerial experience in the Arizona Fall League. The 47-year-old Williams, a five-time All-Star with 378 career home runs, knows Rizzo from Rizzo’s days as scouting director with the Diamondbacks.
Williams will inherit a team that had the best record in baseball during the 2012 regular season at 98-64. The Nationals were expected to be a World Series conteder in 2013, but they missed the playoffs after posting an 87-76 record.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MEANS: U.S. economy on schedule to crash March 4, 2014
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again