- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
‘Aviation City’ opens in Dubai; project envisioned as world’s largest airport
Question of the Day
Dubai announced the partial opening of a new airport Sunday — Al Maktoum International Airport, billed to become the world’s largest when the project is finally finished.
The port celebrated its first commercial flight just hours ago, CNN reported.
The airport is in Jebel Ali, stretching into part of Dubai World Central, in what the government has termed “Aviation City,” CNN reported. Commercial passenger service, now partially opened, will be fully operational by 2027. That’s a delay of 10 years, in part because of financial struggles in the region.
The full cost of the project is estimated at almost $33 billion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and 'KILL my son!'
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs