- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
White House probing claim Obama’s Twitter feed was hacked by Assad supporters
An innocuous-looking tweet about immigration reform was posted to Mr. Obama’s official account, @BarackObama, on Monday, but included a link to a video decrying abuses by insurgents and Islamist rebels fighting against Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime.
Later on Monday afternoon, the @barackobama account tweet had not changed but the link now went to a Washington Post article about a Republican congressman supporting comprehensive immigration reform. That the URL was the same (http://OFA.BO/hb11NM) suggests that it was the linking service that was hacked and not Mr. Obama’s Twitter account per se.
Numerous items were posted to the president’s Twitter and Facebook accounts with links to Syrian pro-government propaganda, attacks on Mr. Obama, and boastful claims of credit.
According to its profile page, the @barackobama account is run by his Organizing for Action group and only the tweets signed “bo” are actually written by the president personally. The hacked tweet was not one of the signed ones.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Dave Boyer is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times. A native of Allentown, Pa., Boyer worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer from 2002 to 2011 and also has covered Congress for the Times. He is a graduate of Penn State University. Boyer can be reached at email@example.com.
- Treasury sells last shares in 'Government Motors'
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Obamas, Bushes fly together to Mandela's memorial service
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Biden: U.S., world 'will not accept' a nuclear-armed North Korea
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow