- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
White Sox sign Cuban slugger Jose Abreu
CHICAGO (AP) - The Chicago White Sox have agreed to a six-year, $68 million deal with Cuban slugger Jose Abreu. The White Sox announced the move on Tuesday, about a week and a half after they reached an agreement.
The 26-year-old Abreu will receive a signing bonus of $10 million and earn $7 million in 2014.
Abreu, who defected over the summer, batted .360 (9-for-25) with three home runs and nine RBIs at the World Baseball Classic last spring. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Abreu is expected to play either first base or fill the designated hitter role. Abreu can help bolster a White Sox offense that scored the fewest runs in the American League and hit only 148 home runs, tied for third fewest in the AL, en route to a 63-99 record one year after finishing second in the AL Central.
During his 2013 season with Cienfuegos in the the top-level league in Cuba, Abreu hit .316 with 19 home runs and 60 RBI in 83 games.
By Ellen Sauerbrey and Dee Hodges
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again