- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
White Sox sign Cuban slugger Jose Abreu
CHICAGO (AP) - The Chicago White Sox have agreed to a six-year, $68 million deal with Cuban slugger Jose Abreu. The White Sox announced the move on Tuesday, about a week and a half after they reached an agreement.
The 26-year-old Abreu will receive a signing bonus of $10 million and earn $7 million in 2014.
Abreu, who defected over the summer, batted .360 (9-for-25) with three home runs and nine RBIs at the World Baseball Classic last spring. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Abreu is expected to play either first base or fill the designated hitter role. Abreu can help bolster a White Sox offense that scored the fewest runs in the American League and hit only 148 home runs, tied for third fewest in the AL, en route to a 63-99 record one year after finishing second in the AL Central.
During his 2013 season with Cienfuegos in the the top-level league in Cuba, Abreu hit .316 with 19 home runs and 60 RBI in 83 games.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.