- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Boat carrying 500 sinks off Italy, killing at least 94
Question of the Day
A boat carrying up to 500 people sank on Thursday off the coast of Italy, leaving at least 94 migrants dead, CNN reported.
Rescue officials say that death toll could go higher, BBC reported. Local media outlets reported that a pregnant woman and a child were among those who died.
Emergency personnel are on the scene, trying to find survivors. The boat sank after it hit rough waters. Other reports say a fire broke out on board, just minutes before the boat sank. BBC reported that witnesses said passengers were hurling themselves off the craft in a desperate attempt to save themselves; on Thursday, dozens were still in the water, police said.
It's not clear how many of those still in the water were alive. More than 140 have been rescued, police said.
This is the second mass migrant death in a week near Italy. Just a few days ago, 13 died while trying to reach Sicilian shores.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal judge angered by Hobby Lobby decision tells Supreme Court to 'stfu'
- Israel kicks off massive assault on Hamas: 'We're taking this to the next step'
- Obama takes up pen, paper to fight for Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Dinesh D'Souza book yanked from Costco shelves
- Mafia reacts to Church boot by bowing Virgin Mary before mob boss's home
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Gun advocates credit new concealed carry laws for sharp drop in Chicago murder rate
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener