- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
Park Police helicopter unit again plays critical role
Question of the Day
For the second time in three weeks, the crew members of the U.S. Park Police Aviation Unit played a key role in a crisis situation.
One of the unit's three helicopters landed on the Mall on Thursday to pick up the police officer injured after a woman rammed a security barrier at the White House and led officers on a chase down Pennsylvania Avenue and crashed near the U.S. Capitol.
During the Sept. 16 Navy Yard shooting, one of the police unit's helicopters helped pluck victims from a rooftop even before confirmation that the gunman on the loose in the building had been accounted for.
Park Police spokesman Sgt. Paul Brooks could not confirm it was the same pilot and crew that rescued the police officer and the Navy Yard victims, but because the unit is small, "there's a good chance," he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Teen girl exorcised by priest, sends demonic text messages in response
- Obama nominates Rabbi David Saperstein as ambassador for religious freedom
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- No official word yet on Pope Francis visit: Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world