- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
Saudi men get 10-year sentence, 2,000 lashes for dancing in public
A Saudi court in the conservative province of Qassim sentenced four men for up to 10 years in prison and 2000 lashes for dancing “naked” in public, the Agence France-Presse reported Thursday.
In a video posted on YouTube, the men appear dancing on top of a vehicle, but none seemed naked, AFP said. They were charged with “encouraging vice, defying norms of the society and violating public morals,” Al-Sharq newspaper reported.
The court in Buraydah, Qassim’s provincial capital, sentenced one defendant to 10 years in prison and 2000 lashes, another to seven years in prison and 1200 lashes, and two other men were jailed for three years and sentenced to 500 lashes each, Al-Sharq reported.
Two of them were identified as security officials.
Saudi Arabia applies a strict version of Islamic shariah law that imposes many social restrictions and bans public entertainment, AFP said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- Cardinal Dolan: Pope's remarks on same-sex unions not an endorsement
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Dennis Rodman: 'I won't go back' to North Korea
- Florida's Charlie Crist heaps praise on Obama: 'God bless him'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again