- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Tea Party, business principles line up
Question of the Day
In “Big business declares war on Tea Party” (Web, Oct. 28), the notion is set forth that businesses are at odds with the Tea Party, particularly the efforts in Congress to defund or delay implementation of Obamacare. If true, I suggest that businessmen rethink their position.
The Tea Party is a grass-roots uprising whose genesis was prompted by opposition to the principles of the Democrats in power. These principles — enlarging government, budget deficits and debt, raising taxes and energy costs, and expanding unsustainable entitlements — are antithetical to economic growth. Economic growth is the key to the success of businesses, their owners and employees and to solving the unemployment and deficit problems — provided it is accompanied by entitlement reform and spending restraint.
Obamacare is the poster child for destructive government regulation that will dampen growth and expand government control, severely damaging our country and many of its businesses. An aggressive effort to eliminate or delay implementation and in the process highlight this damage for all to see was worth doing. It required Democrats to support Obamacare and favorably changed the outcome of the continuing resolution and “debt-ceiling” negotiations.
The argument that elevating the dispute over Obamacare as it was being launched was harmful flies in the face of today’s headlines. In truth, the Tea Party principles are squarely in line with business prosperity. Let’s recognize this.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job