- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Maryland speed cameras becoming objects of scorn, vandalism
In 2007, Montgomery County became the first Maryland jurisdiction to establish a speed camera program, and soon after police began handling calls for camera vandalism. In the past six years, black spray paint has been used and yellow paint pellets. Vandals have scratched the camera’s glass lenses and even stolen computer parts they’ve pried open from the cameras.
Despite the crimes, including the most recent swastika graffiti, Mr. Andrews said a majority of the public supports the speed camera program.
“It’s a small minority that are resorting to this kind of thing,” he said. “The speed cameras were approved through a democratic process. They’re not something imposed by someone not accountable to the public. It does work. It frees up police officers to focus on the sorts of things that only police officers can do, such as investigating crimes.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lenten season marks big business for seafood sector
- ACU at 50: Strong and looking ahead
- Ready for spring? D.C. cherry blossoms to bloom by mid-April
- MOVIE REVIEW: 'Son of God'
- Experts say immigrants are changing the U.S. religious landscape
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CPAC 2014: GOP optimism, agenda emerge at CPAC
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again