- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Boehner: Shutdown ‘isn’t some damn game’
Republicans on Friday were furious over a Wall Street Journal report that the White House believes it is “winning” the shutdown fight.
“This isn’t some damn game,” said House Speaker John A. Boehner. “The American people don’t want their government shut down and neither do I.”
Publicly the White House, too, says the shutdown isn’t about winning. Press secretary Jay Carney said that on Thursday. But the Wall Street Journal reported that a senior administration official said: “We are winning…It doesn’t really matter to us” how long the shutdown lasts “because what matters is the end result.”
Republicans and Democrats are stalemated in how to reopen the government, with Republicans demanding a compromise that would include a delay or dent in Obamacare, and Democrats insisting the government be reopened without any preconditions — though they say they would be willing to talk about other spending and tax issues later.
Democrats have accused Mr. Boehner of being a bad negotiator, saying he cannot control his own troops and can’t be trusted to deliver on a deal. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said this week that Mr. Boehner reneged on a deal they had to pass a stopgap spending bill without preconditions but at the spending level the House GOP insisted.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No comment on petition to deport Bieber
- Red-state Democrats blast latest Keystone delay
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014