A man who was airlifted from the Mall after setting himself on fire Friday afternoon has died of his injuries, police reported.
Police and emergency workers responded around 4:20 p.m. to 7th Street and Madison Drive in the center of the Mall for “a report of a man who set himself on fire,” Park Police Lt. Patricia Smith said.
An ambulance arrived on the scene about three minutes later and found the man suffering from life-threatening injuries, D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Tim Wilson said.
The man was airlifted to MedStar Washington Hospital Center, home of the region’s burn treatment center.
Authorities were unable to confirm how the man caught fire, or how the flames were extinguished.
Witness Katy Scheflen told The Associated Press she was walking along the Mall when she saw a man by himself pick up a can of gasoline and empty its contents on his head before setting himself ablaze. She said passing joggers took off their shirts to help douse the flames.