- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Reds dump manager Dusty Baker after playoff loss
Baker led the Reds to 90 wins again this season _ the eighth time one of his teams won 90 _ but the offense went into a deep slump in the final week. The Pirates swept a three-game series in Cincinnati to end the season and clinch home-field advantage for the wild-card game, then finished them off at raucous PNC Park.
A rough ending to a tough season all-around.
The Reds reached the playoffs despite playing in the NL’s toughest division and losing both of their setup relievers and their cleanup hitter to injuries for most of the season. They have two players who can leave as free agents _ center fielder Shin-Soo Choo, who topped all leadoff hitters in on-base percentage, and starter Bronson Arroyo.
They have to decide what to do for a cleanup hitter. Ryan Ludwick tore cartilage in his right shoulder while sliding into third base on opening day and didn’t return until mid-August. His shoulder continued to bother him, and he batted only .240 with two homers and 12 RBIs.
Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again