- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
Panthers WR Steve Smith calls umpire ‘garbage’
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith is still upset with the officiating in Carolina’s 22-6 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, calling a member of Sunday’s crew “garbage.”
Smith said, “To be honest, I make enough money where if Roger were to fine me, he can.”
The receiver was upset over several calls, including one where he was flagged for offensive pass interference and another where he felt Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson grabbed the back of his jersey on a route and used that momentum to “slingshot” past him to break up a pass.
“It was pass interference in Mexico, Europe, rugby _ in pretty much every other sport but in Arizona” on Sunday, Smith said. “But then when I pushed off it was pass interference.”
Smith also pointed to a play where he dove with the ball outstretched beyond the first down marker but was ruled down before the yardstick. Panthers coach Ron Rivera challenged the play and officials overruled the call and granted Carolina a first down.
It was an aggravating day all around for Smith.
He dropped two passes from Cam Newton, including one in the end zone that should have been a touchdown. He was limited to 60 yards on four catches.
Despite his comments about the officiating, Smith took blame for the loss, saying, “I wasn’t focused in.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.