- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
California Gov. Jerry Brown says no to noncitizens serving as jurors
Question of the Day
California Gov. Jerry Brown has turned aside a legislative attempt to let noncitizens serve on juries in state cases.
Mr. Brown, a Democrat, vetoed the bill Monday, calling it in conflict with constitutional definitions of citizenship.
“Jury service, like voting, is quintessentially a prerogative and responsibility of citizenship,” Mr. Brown said in a statement about his veto decision, The Associated Press reported. “This bill would permit lawful permanent residents who are not citizens to serve on a jury. I don’t think that’s right.”
The bill had passed by party line vote in the Democrat-controlled legislature. The bill’s sponsor, Democratic Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, had argued that immigrants who are permanent U.S. residents should be allowed to take part in all the activities of a community — even if they’ve not accepted America as their choice of citizenship.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- 1,250 heroin bags labeled ‘Obama Care’ seized by police
- Cheerleader-to-soldier: Philly Eagles girl turns in pom-poms for rifle
- Most annoying word, 2013: ‘Whatever,’ followed by ‘like’
- Gov. Chris Christie to sign law giving illegals in-state tuition rates
- Dennis Rodman can’t get U.S. basketball stars to go to North Korea: ‘They’re still afraid’
Latest Blog Entries
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow