- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Last-place Sunderland hires Poyet as manager
SUNDERLAND, ENGLAND (AP) - Gus Poyet has been hired as Sunderland’s sixth permanent manager in less than five years, handed the task of reviving the fortunes of the last-place English Premier League club.
The 45-year-old Uruguayan signed a two-year contract Tuesday to replace Paolo Di Canio, who was fired last month. Sunderland has been coached on an interim basis since then by Kevin Ball.
Poyet has no previous Premier League managerial experience. He was fired by second-tier team Brighton in June.
Poyet takes over a Sunderland side at the bottom of the standings with just one point after seven matches.
Sunderland’s American chairman, Ellis Short, says the club believes Poyet’s “track record, experience, commitment and passion make him the right man to take us forward.”
Sunderland’s next match is at Swansea on Oct. 19.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014