- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Redskins’ racist, but not Okies?
I certainly can see how the name might be deemed as offensive to American Indiana; no sporting team would dare to use “brownskins” or “whiteskins” as their mascot. However, as a lifelong Redskins fan and season ticket holder I can only wonder if there is a double standard at play, particularly when the debate crosses over into the political spectrum.
The origin of our 46th state’s name, Oklahoma, is derived from two Choctaw Indian words meaning “red people.” How is this not as offensive, or even more offensive, than the name Redskins? Our country would never name a state “black people” or “white people,” so why is it okay for us to call one of our great states “red people”?
If our president and other elected officials suggest that the owner of the Washington Redskins should consider changing the team’s name, those same elected officials should at least consider changing the name of our 46th state.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws