- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Park Police should question orders
Question of the Day
So, someone told the Park Police to make life difficult for us citizens, and they complied (“The cheap tricks of the game,” Commentary, Oct. 3).
What part of the Park Police’s job description includes harassing the people they’re supposed to protect? What ordinances were they enforcing when they blocked access to spaces that are routinely left open? What regulations required that they put barriers up around normally unattended monuments? What legal precedents compelled them to invalidate binding contracts and remove people from the homes and businesses built on federal lands that had been legally leased? What part of their oath of office obliged them to act like hired thugs?
I once thought those police officers were proud to serve a higher cause. Now I know their loyalties are not to the law, the Constitution or the people, but merely to serve and protect those in power. Did it occur to anyone in the chain of command to refuse an unlawful order?
Congratulations, Park Police. You’ve crossed one threshold. After you start roughing people up on command, you’ll be ready to graduate to your brown shirts.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war