- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Red-state Democrats march to Reid’s tune
“Dems turns against Dems in D.C.; city outraged congressional Democrats are blocking city funding” (Web, Oct. 7) gives us a peek behind the political curtain. The threat of presidential vetoes, together with party pressure, have put a metaphorical strait jacket on the Senate, with even red-state Democrats being forced to march in lockstep to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s tune.
So instead of a free debate and votes on proposals that could help alleviate the current impasse, there exists only the rigidity of party discipline within the caucus. When red-state and nearly red-state voters elect Democrats with a conservative bent, those elected officials cannot avoid having to carry water for the liberal agenda of their national party when they get to Washington. The hope or expectation that sending a conservative Democrat to Congress would lead to some moderation in the overwhelmingly liberal Democratic Party is simply delusional. It only adds to the power of their liberal base.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Young and healthy millennials create risky imbalance by shunning Obamacare
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare