- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Lunch lady accused of stuffing bra with kids’ cash — $1.8M in 8 years
Question of the Day
This is hardly the lunch lady of Adam Sandler lore.
A former Rialto, Calif., school district accountant with access to kids’ lunch money was reportedly captured on video stuffing her bra with bills and charged with ultimately racking up $1.8 million of stolen food fees over the span of eight years.
San Bernardino County prosecutors filed 16 felony counts, from embezzlement to falsifying records, against Judith Oakes, 48, CBS reported. She was initially arrested in August and released on $50,000 bond.
Ms. Oakes is now due for an arraignment hearing on Thursday.
She was responsible for depositing the students’ lunch money into the school’s bank account. School officials because suspicious when they noticed the account balance seemed a little low — by about $3.1 million. Ms. Oakes is suspected of being responsible for about a third of that, CBS said.
If found guilty, Ms. Oakes could be sentenced to 11 years in prison.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Iraq tells U.N. that 'terrorist groups' have seized nuclear materials
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl captured in photo smiling with Taliban jihadist
- John Wayne's heirs sue Duke University for 'Duke' bourbon rights
- San Francisco Giants mull dress code for fans after headdress fiasco
- House side of Capitol temporarily closes for asbestos incident
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Most Americans get their kicks from their own game
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Tiger Woods' swing changes have hurt his game, Paul Azinger says
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- GOP aims to sue Obama first over health care employer mandate
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener