- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Mastodon tooth found in Mich. charity donation box
Question of the Day
A tooth from the now-extinct mastodon was found in a Michigan charity’s donation box during a July pickup in Grand Rapids.
“At first, it looked like broken parts of something,” said Jay Starkey, director of In The Image, a Christian charity that distributes donated clothing and similar items to low-income residents, MLive reported.
The fragmented tooth could be anywhere from 12,000 to 15,000 years old and will be donated to the Grand Rapid Public Museum, which is formally adding the artifacts to its educational collection this month, MLive said.
Volunteers also found a tusk that is believed to be from a mastodon as well.
“It’s pretty amazing the things we get,” Mr. Jay Starkey told Fox News. “I just looked at it and said, ‘This is something different.’”
The animals, related to the elephant, roamed North America more than 10,000 years ago and their remains occasionally turn up in Michigan, Fox News said.
Starkey said the discovery made the long list of odd things the charity has received, from an urn filled with someone’s ashes to framed divorce papers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq