- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Sandcastle contest washed away by shutdown
Park ranger supervision required for charity event
Question of the Day
An annual San Francisco sandcastle contest for elementary school children has been indefinitely scrapped this year because of the government shutdown.
The contest, held at San Francisco’s Ocean Beach, pairs students from 26 elementary schools with adults and design firms, then lets them loose to build for sandcastles for charity, according to the San Francisco Gate.
The beach, however, is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which requires park ranger supervision for all events — putting this year’s contest in jeopardy.
“We are in purgatory right now,” said Julie MacDonald, executive director of Leap, a San Francisco nonprofit that uses the contest as a fundraiser to support art education programs in Bay Area schools, the Gate reported. “We have every intention of holding the event, but we’re powerless to reschedule until the government is fully operational.”
Last year, the event raised $253,000 for Leap, the Gate reported. The money is used to hire artists to work with students in three nearby counties.
Planners hope the shutdown will end soon enough to reschedule the event for the near future.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq