- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
Heat wave brings high temperatures to D.C. area
A late-summer heat wave in the D.C. area will keep residents sweating until the end of the week, with high temperatures forecast to be about 10 degrees above average for this time of year.
National Weather Service officials said the forecast calls for low- to mid-90-degree temperatures while a high pressure system moves through the area.
“It’s definitely above normal,” Weather Service meteorologist Brian LaSorsa said. “The average high temperature should be 82, 81, for the next few days.”
Mr. LaSorsa said a cold front moving through the area Thursday will ease the heat and humidity.
“It should be much cooler and less humid Friday through the weekend,” he said.
The hike in temperature is a far cry from the pleasant air and cooler temperatures D.C.-area residents enjoyed this past weekend, but Mr. LaSorsa said the coming heat is still below historical records.
For both Sept. 10 and Sept. 11, the record was set in 1983 at 98 degrees. The hottest Sept. 12 on record is 96 degrees in 1931
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No rest for the retired: Cardinal McCarrick on a mission for peace in Africa
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.