- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Military isn’t a speech prop
Question of the Day
Our military personnel are used as background props for President Obama’s speeches, but they have not been given fair treatment or support. The delay in the Afghanistan surge, the early troop withdrawals and the rules of engagement cost many lives and injuries to our military personnel.
While Mr. Obama says he values those serving in the armed forces, his administration’s labeling the Fort Hood shooting that killed and injured our military “workplace violence” was a disservice to the victims and their families, and the failure to protect or attempt to rescue our personnel in Benghazi, Libya, are factual examples of the Obama administration’s actions.
The administration went one step further by proposing a 1 percent military pay raise instead of a 1.8 percent raise because of sequestration. Those who volunteer to serve and risk their lives deserve better. Congress, with the people’s support, needs to stop the decimation of our military and ensure servicemen are fairly compensated, receive their benefits and have full support in carrying out their missions.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic