- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wasn’t Obama elected on war-ending vow?
A lot of people elected President Obama to end wars (those in Iraq and Afghanistan, specifically), not to be some kind of superhero cop across the globe. The United States has signed a number of treaties and other international agreements, all of which provide mechanisms for enforcement, most through the United Nations or some other international organization. In the majority of cases, as with the Covenant on Chemical Weapons, these documents contain articles that define when enforcement occurs, and by whom that enforcement is undertaken. None shows the United States as the enforcing agent.
Mr. Obama put his own foot in his mouth, first saying he had a personal "red line" and then denying that line existed. We should not go to war with Syria to make this president look good in the face of his own stupidity — unless, of course, the United Nations or some other body with legal responsibility asks for our assistance.
The correct question to ask is, what legal right do we have to intervene? If we can't find one, then we have no right to be going into Syria.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine