- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wasn’t Obama elected on war-ending vow?
Question of the Day
A lot of people elected President Obama to end wars (those in Iraq and Afghanistan, specifically), not to be some kind of superhero cop across the globe. The United States has signed a number of treaties and other international agreements, all of which provide mechanisms for enforcement, most through the United Nations or some other international organization. In the majority of cases, as with the Covenant on Chemical Weapons, these documents contain articles that define when enforcement occurs, and by whom that enforcement is undertaken. None shows the United States as the enforcing agent.
Mr. Obama put his own foot in his mouth, first saying he had a personal "red line" and then denying that line existed. We should not go to war with Syria to make this president look good in the face of his own stupidity — unless, of course, the United Nations or some other body with legal responsibility asks for our assistance.
The correct question to ask is, what legal right do we have to intervene? If we can't find one, then we have no right to be going into Syria.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case