- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama acts first, thinks later
On Jan. 22, 2009, President Obama signed an order to close the detention center for terrorism suspects at U.S. Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. As with most of his decisions, Mr. Obama acted first and thought second — and he didn’t have a clue about how to implement this one, either. “Gitmo” is still open.
With the help of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Mr. Obama pushed through the Affordable Health Care Act. Lawmakers passed it before fully reading or evaluating it. I am sure everyone remembers Mrs. Pelosi’s famous quote at the time: “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” The Obama government’s takeover of one-sixth of our economy is a disaster in the making. The supposedly affordable health care Obamacare will create will hardly be affordable; further, it will render the health care we all receive inferior to what we had. If it’s so great, why is Congress exempt? Why do those who represent us have a much better health care plan than we do?
As for the Syria disaster, Mr. Obama tries to sell us on the idea of bombing that nation. Meanwhile, where’s the retribution for last year’s murderous attacks in Benghazi, Libya?
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Sen. Rand Paul: Long-term unemployment benefits are disservice to workers