- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
Summer blockbuster: No. 1 Bama vs. No. 6 Texas A&M
THE OTHER QB: AJ McCarron is no Johnny Football, but Alabama fans aren’t complaining. The senior has two national championship rings and is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. One of his few mistakes last season was an interception near A&M’s goal line late in the fourth quarter. The best-laid plans for Alabama probably don’t involve getting into a high-scoring game with A&M’s super charged, up-tempo offense. But if it goes that route, McCarron and the Tide’s myriad playmakers should be up to the task.
JOHNNY CAM: Yes, CBS will have a camera on Manziel all day. Coach Kevin Sumlin was not pleased. And he doesn’t want Johnny Football to play with any less passion.
“The intensity and emotion that he plays with is part of his game,” Sumlin said. “I don’t think that anybody around college football that watches him play denies that. Our job is to channel that type of emotion into a positive way of doing things.”
SO, HOW DO YOU STOP MANZIEL?: Saban and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart are about as good it gets when it comes to mixing defensive fronts and coverages, but Manziel is a game-plan wrecker. And A&M is loaded with talented tailbacks and receivers, so it’s not like he’s doing it on his own.
“I think that he’s going to make some plays,” Saban said. “And I think athletically he extends a lot of plays but he extends a lot of plays to pass. It’s not like he’s just a runner that only extends the play scrambling and takes off running. You’re not going to make him a pocket passer, because if someone is not open, he’s not going to throw them the ball.”
Or as Alabama safety HaHa Clinton-Dix described Manziel: “He’s one of a kind, if you ask me.”
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes