- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Feds’ ‘Predator App’ nabs first sex crimes suspect
The federal government’s new “predator app” that enrolls the public in helping spot child sex crimes suspects was operating for little more than a day before it nabbed its first capture, authorities said Friday.
Mark Robert Austin, one of the people being sought by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, was arrested near Flint, Mich., after several tipsters gave his location.
The man had been charged with downloading more than 100 images and nearly a dozen videos of child pornography.
ICE unveiled its “Operation Predator App” on Thursday, saying it would highlight people the agency was seeking in connection with child sex crimes or pornography.
The app, which is available through Apple right now but which the agency wants to expand to other platforms, gives information and photos about sex predators the agency’s Homeland Security Investigations unit is seeking.
“One of the primary goals of this app was to make the world a very small place for suspected child predators to hide,” said William Hayes, acting special agent in charge of HSI Detroit. “The arrest of Mr. Austin certainly proves that goal was accomplished.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No comment on petition to deport Bieber
- Red-state Democrats blast latest Keystone delay
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador's visa, but says law is 'advisory'
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.