- The Washington Times - Monday, September 16, 2013

A spokeswoman for Medstar Washington Hospital Center said the D.C. hospital has already received three people wounded in Monday’s shooting at the Navy Yard and “we’ve been told to expect more.”

Chief Medical Officer Janis Orlowski said one D.C. police officer was already in surgery. The three shooting victims — one man and two women — have “a good chance of survival.” One of the women had been shot in the hand and head, she said.

Ms. Orlowski told reporters she did not know if any other victims of the shooting would be transported to the hospital. She said Medstar officials have been in touch with other hospitals in the area to coordinate treatment of victims.

George Washington University Hospital has confirmed that a 60-year-old male was killed in the Navy Yard shooting Monday morning.

A spokesman said the man, whose name was not given, was dead on arrival to the hospital at around 9 a.m, about 40 minutes after the shooting.

The spokesman said the man was shot in the left temple and the wound was “not survivable by any stretch.”

The hospital said it was told to be prepared to take more victims of the shooting.