The Washington Nationals-Atlanta Braves game scheduled for Monday night has been postponed in the wake of the deadly shooting earlier in the day at the nearby Washington Navy Yard.
The teams will play a split doubleheader Tuesday at Nationals Park, with games beginning at 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m.
"It was a very emotional day. An extremely horrific act happened very near to our ballpark," Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said at an afternoon news conference at Nationals Park. "It would be inappropriate to play a Major League Baseball game with such tragedy down the street."
At least 13 people were killed in the shootings at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building, D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray said at a news conference shortly after 4 p.m., with others wounded.
The Nationals released a statement Monday afternoon that read as follows:
All of us here in the Nationals organization were deeply saddened to learn of the tragic events that occurred this morning only a few blocks from Nationals Park. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
In light of the circumstances, we have decided to postpone tonight's game against the Atlanta Braves. Additional information will be distributed in the coming hours.The safety of our fans is our utmost priority. As we have throughout the day, the Nationals security personnel will continue to work closely with all levels of law enforcement to reinforce the already high level of security in place at Nationals Park.
The D.C. police department has been using one of the Nationals' parking lots, Lot B on South Capitol and N St. SE, as a meeting place for family members of the Navy Yard employees.
Nationals spokesman John Dever said the team was "thrilled to be able to help families catch up. ... For us to do our part was easy."
© Copyright 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.