- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Bethpage Black set to host PGA, Ryder Cup
The PGA of America announced Tuesday that Bethpage Black will host the rowdiest event in golf in 2024, and the 2019 PGA Championship. The public course at a Long Island state park has developed a well-earned reputation for loud and boisterous fans, having played host to two U.S. Open championships in 2002 and 2009. Last year, the Barclays was held there as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs.
He said he was watching Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler during a practice round at the 2010 Ryder Cup, when Bethpage Black came up. Bishop says Fowler mused, “Can you imagine what a great home field advantage and how intimidating a Bethpage Black Ryder Cup would be?”
“The PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup tournaments will also provide a tremendous boost to the Long Island economy and put the beautiful, world-class Bethpage State Golf Course on an international stage,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He noted the PGA Championship held at Oak Hill near Rochester this summer brought 200,000 visitors to the region, and added $75 million to the local economy.
Officials at Tuesday’s press conference noted that New York also hosted to the first PGA Championship in 1916 in Bronxville.
Bethpage Black first held a big tournament at the 2002 U.S. Open won by Tiger Woods. It held another U.S. Open in 2009, and The Barclays in 2012 as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. Woods will be 48 when the Ryder Cup is held at Bethpage Black.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.