- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Bethpage to host PGA, Ryder Cup
The PGA of America announced Tuesday that Bethpage Black will host the rowdiest event in golf in 2024. The public course at a Long Island state park has developed a well-earned reputation for loud and boisterous fans, having played host to two U.S. Open championships in 2002 and 2009. Last year, the Barclays was held there as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs.
He said he was watching Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler during a practice round at the 2010 Ryder Cup, when Bethpage Black came up. Bishop says Fowler mused, “Can you imagine what a great home field advantage and how intimidating a Bethpage Black Ryder Cup would be?”
“The PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup tournaments will also provide a tremendous boost to the Long Island economy and put the beautiful, world-class Bethpage State Golf Course on an international stage,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He noted the PGA Championship held at Oak Hill near Rochester this summer brought 200,000 visitors to the region, and added $75 million to the local economy.
Officials at Tuesday’s press conference noted that New York also hosted to the first PGA Championship in 1916 in Bronxville.
Bethpage Black first held a big tournament at the 2002 U.S. Open won by Tiger Woods. It held another U.S. Open in 2009, and The Barclays in 2012 as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. Woods will be 48 when the Ryder Cup is held at Bethpage Black.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.