- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Bethpage to host PGA, Ryder Cup
The PGA of America announced Tuesday that Bethpage Black will host the rowdiest event in golf in 2024. The public course at a Long Island state park has developed a well-earned reputation for loud and boisterous fans, having played host to two U.S. Open championships in 2002 and 2009. Last year, the Barclays was held there as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs.
He said he was watching Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler during a practice round at the 2010 Ryder Cup, when Bethpage Black came up. Bishop says Fowler mused, “Can you imagine what a great home field advantage and how intimidating a Bethpage Black Ryder Cup would be?”
“The PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup tournaments will also provide a tremendous boost to the Long Island economy and put the beautiful, world-class Bethpage State Golf Course on an international stage,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He noted the PGA Championship held at Oak Hill near Rochester this summer brought 200,000 visitors to the region, and added $75 million to the local economy.
Officials at Tuesday’s press conference noted that New York also hosted to the first PGA Championship in 1916 in Bronxville.
Bethpage Black first held a big tournament at the 2002 U.S. Open won by Tiger Woods. It held another U.S. Open in 2009, and The Barclays in 2012 as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. Woods will be 48 when the Ryder Cup is held at Bethpage Black.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Susan Rice slams Russia, China on human rights
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Obama: Growing income inequality 'defining challenge' of this generation
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.