- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Bethpage to host PGA, Ryder Cup
Question of the Day
The PGA of America announced Tuesday that Bethpage Black will host the rowdiest event in golf in 2024. The public course at a Long Island state park has developed a well-earned reputation for loud and boisterous fans, having played host to two U.S. Open championships in 2002 and 2009. Last year, the Barclays was held there as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs.
He said he was watching Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler during a practice round at the 2010 Ryder Cup, when Bethpage Black came up. Bishop says Fowler mused, “Can you imagine what a great home field advantage and how intimidating a Bethpage Black Ryder Cup would be?”
“The PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup tournaments will also provide a tremendous boost to the Long Island economy and put the beautiful, world-class Bethpage State Golf Course on an international stage,” said Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He noted the PGA Championship held at Oak Hill near Rochester this summer brought 200,000 visitors to the region, and added $75 million to the local economy.
Officials at Tuesday’s press conference noted that New York also hosted to the first PGA Championship in 1916 in Bronxville.
Bethpage Black first held a big tournament at the 2002 U.S. Open won by Tiger Woods. It held another U.S. Open in 2009, and The Barclays in 2012 as part of the FedEx Cup playoffs. Woods will be 48 when the Ryder Cup is held at Bethpage Black.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world