- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The de facto president not a leader
When I read that Secretary of State John F. Kerry reached an agreement on Syria with his Russian counterpart, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, I could not help but think, “So the principle here might be if I shoot someone, all I need do is promise to throw away the gun within the next year, and I’m off the hook?”
This is foreign policy by public opinion, not by reasoned fact. We elect presidents so they can lead by taking decisive action and then explaining, sometimes after the act, the reason for their decisions. Whether we agree or not, this is one of the duties of the president, especially when it comes to national security, human life and/or the rule of law (in this case, international law).
In a sense, the president in this circumstance made no decision at all. At best it might be said that President Obama offered a recommendation, then punted to Congress and the public. Ultimately, the decision was made by Mr. Kerry’s aimless ramblings and an opportunistic ex-KGB leader of the most powerful and antagonistic country in the world.
By that logic, Mr. Obama is clearly not a leader — and it can be argued he is merely a de facto president.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- White House is obstructing probe on Navy Yard shooter, NSA leaker, Darrell Issa says
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Colorado revolt: 55 of 62 sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest