- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Toughest kid has nothing to prove
Question of the Day
I have a serious problem with jumping aboard the Obama train to war with Syria, and I disagree with Fox News Channel host Bill O'Reilly, who supports a strike on that country to show the world we are taking the moral high ground to defend the innocent.
I was born and raised in New England and brought up with the same moral values as Mr. O'Reilly. My father was a cop, so from the time my feet hit the ground, I was taught to do the right thing. I joined the Marine Corps, went to Vietnam, got wounded five times, came back home, healed and became a cop. I ended my law-enforcement career on a 100 percent disability from a combination of injuries in both fields.
One of my biggest beefs with those agreeing to a “minor” strike on Syria is that there is nothing minor about war. To put it into perspective, if you trespass on someone’s property, it’s a criminal violation. If you throw a hand grenade on the property, and it hits a house, you could be charged with attempted murder. If you kill someone, you will be charged with murder.
If we bomb a sovereign country when it is not a direct threat to the United States, it’s an act of war, which makes us guilty of violating the law under our own Constitution.
As for looking weak in the eyes of the world, when you are the toughest kid on the block, you don’t have to prove it. I was taught that if attacked, then respond and defend yourself. President Obama and all the armchair warriors should stand down.
GREGORY J. TOPLIFF
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- GOP Rep. Tim Murphy rolls out mental health legislation
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- White House faces press revolt over access to Obama's South Africa flight
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system