- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Wizards’ Emeka Okafor, Chris Singleton out with injuries
With training camp set to begin next week, the Washington Wizards already are hurting.
Okafor had experienced discomfort in his neck and an MRI revealed the disc problem. The center will attempt to rehab the injury, with no timetable offered for his return. He averaged 9.7 points and 8.8 rebounds last season, seeing action in all but three games.
Wizards training camp opens Sept. 28 at George Mason University.
“I have worked hard over the summer and was looking forward to the start of training camp next week, so this is a disappointing and frustrating situation for me,” Okafor said in a press release. “But I have confidence that my teammates and coaches will be able to continue to take steps towards our goal of making the playoffs and that I will be able to do my part to help them once I return.”
Singleton had surgery Wednesday, a day after suffering a Jones fracture to the fifth metatarsal of his left foot during a voluntary workout at Verizon Center.
Singleton, who turns 24 in November, averaged 4.1 points and 3.2 rebounds for the Wizards last season, mostly coming off the bench. The previous season, he appeared in all 66 games as a rookie, starting 51 of them, and averaged 4.6 points and 3.5 rebounds.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.