- Former Reagan aide James Baker: President regretted apartheid veto
- Some donations to gay waitress who allegedly forged hate note refunded
- German President Joachim Gauck boycotting Sochi Olympics
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
Atheists launch PAC backing nonreligious candidates
A political action committee specifically geared towards filling the halls of Congress with atheists and agnostics and those friendly to their cause was launched Wednesday in Washington.
The "Freethought Equality Fund" already supports five congressional candidates, including Democratic Reps. Bobby Scott of Virginia and Rush Holt of New Jersey, NPR reported.
"We already know of more than two dozen closeted atheists serving in Congress today," Maggie Ardiente of the American Humanist Associated said Wednesday at a rollout for the PAC. "The fact that they're in the closet about their nonbelief says a lot about why this PAC is greatly needed. The time to come out is now and the Freethought Equality Fund will help make it happen."
NPR reports that 20 percent of the U.S. population now identifies as "nonreligious."
"We're actively looking for all candidates regardless of their affiliation who will protect the separation of church and state and defend civil liberties," said PAC coordinator Bishop McNeil. "[But] based on our 2013 scorecard that we just completed, there are currently no Republicans in the House that would fit that."
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Christmas gift for coffee lovers: Starbucks $450 all-metal gift card
- Chris Matthews: GOP less patriotic than South African white apartheid leaders
- Wounded Warrior donation MIA from lesbian waitress of anti-gay tip story
- Jon Stewart, CIA superspy? Iranian TV creates new 'Zionist' conspiracy
- Paris Metro issues 'politeness manual' to improve passengers' behavior
Latest Blog Entries
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
- Jay Carney likens inquiry on Sebelius' 'Obamacare' fundraising to birth certificate questions
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Sen. Rand Paul: Long-term unemployment benefits are disservice to workers
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
White House pets gone wild!