- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Delays beset veterans health care system
Getting into the system, and into a routine with a therapist and receiving consistent care takes time is the hardest part, especially for reservists in rural areas or veterans who move around, Mr. Hansman said.
“If you’re waiting over two to three weeks for care that’s been promised, then there’s some sort of breakdown in the system,” he said. “There’s still this gap between what the VA provides and what is actually needed.”
The VA operates 153 hospitals, 956 outpatient facilities and 232 smaller clinics nationwide.
Kristina Kaufmann, executive director of Code of Support, a military advocacy group, worries that the Navy Yard shooting will make it even harder for veterans to come forward and seek mental health care.
“These things can impede and serve as a barrier to service members who are dealing with mental health issues — just in trying to convince them to go get help and that they are nothing like this guy and they are not crazy,” Ms. Kaufmann said.
“The narrative of this country is starting to fly back to what it was after Vietnam, which is ‘crazy veteran,’” she said. “This guy seems to have deep psychological problems that were pre-existing. — 99.9 percent of veterans are not going around shooting people.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.