- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Michigan State-Notre Dame Preview Capsule
Question of the Day
Michigan State (3-0) vs. No. 22 Notre Dame (2-1), 3:30 p.m. (NBC)
Line: Notre Dame by 6 1/2.
Series record: 47-28-1.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
Notre Dame already has a loss to a Big Ten school from Michigan and can't afford another. Michigan State is trying to get off to its best start since 2010, when a touchdown on a fake field goal in overtime gave the Spartans an overtime victory over the Irish and launched them to an 8-0 start and a share of the Big Ten title.
Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees vs. the Michigan State defense. The Spartans are No. 1 in total defense and pass efficiency defense, but that's been against soft competition. Rees became the second Irish quarterback to pass for 300 yards in the first three games of a season, joining Jimmy Clausen in 2009, and could become the first Notre Dame quarterback to accomplish the feat in the first four games.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Michigan State: DE Shilique Calhoun has three touchdowns, with two fumble recoveries for scores and a 56-yard interception return. He also has two sacks, eight quarterback hurries, three tackles for loss and another fumble recovery.
Notre Dame: RB by committee. George Atkinson tops the depth chart and has the most yards per carry at 5.4, but is third in carries (18) and yards (98). Amir Carlisle appeared to be emerging as the top runner and leads the team with 148 yards on 30 carries, but touched the ball only once in the fourth quarter against Purdue, and that was a fumble. Cam McDaniel is least-heralded, but has 29 carries for 125 yards.
FACTS & FIGURES
Nine of the last 13 games in the series have been decided by a touchdown or less. ... The Irish are 11-6 under Kelly in games decided by a touchdown or less, but 9-1 in their last 10 games. ... The rivalry goes on one of its periodic pauses for the next two seasons, which has nothing to do with Notre Dame's agreement to play five games against Atlantic Coast Conference opponents. The two-year pause was agreed to before Notre Dame joined the ACC in most sports other than football. It will be the first such break in the series since 1995-96.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world