- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Sen. Ted Cruz: We will use ‘every ounce of breath’ to defund Obamacare
Sen. Ted Cruz said Thursday he will use any means necessary, including a filibuster on the Senate floor, to defund President Obama's health care law while passing a short-term spending plan this month to keep the government open.
House conservatives joined Mr. Cruz, Texas Republican, and Sen. Mike Lee, Utah Republican, in heaping praise on House Speaker John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, for putting forth a measure that would keep government funded past Sept. 30 while taking money away from the Affordable Care Act, a health overhaul they see as dangerous for the country.
The two GOP senators said they are willing to take up the fight when the measure comes to the Democrat-controlled Senate, although Mr. Cruz warned that the debate could be an extended back-and-forth between the chambers of Congress.
"If that happens, you can rest assured that Mike Lee and I and a great many others will fight with every ounce of breath we have to defund Obamacare," he said.
Conservatives said President Obama is letting big business and other factions get a break from Obamacare while others Americans face the law's provisions in the coming months.
Mr. Cruz said any vote that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, brings up that includes funding for the health care law should be subject to a 60-vote threshold.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Most Americans OK with Obamacare contraception mandate: study
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Sebelius not running for Senate, HHS confirms: Report
- Red fox makes a home for himself at the White House: Report
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014