- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Firefighters battle 6-alarm blaze at Alexandria warehouse
Question of the Day
Watching from her ground-level porch, 37-year-old Michelle Smith said she heard odd sounds on Sunday coming from the warehouse.
“It was outside and it sounded like a fuse blew,” Ms. Smith said. “Today I kept hearing something that sounded like boom, boom, boom.”
Jeffrey Mitchelle, 49, said he also heard a succession of “pop, pop, pop” on Monday morning. The Alexandria resident who lives within walking distance of the warehouse said he was on his way to breakfast when he heard the noise. Then he noticed the flames.
“It was a lot of fire,” he said. “You couldn’t help but see it.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Black Santa Claus a Christmas tradition for many families
- Obenshain concedes Virginia AG race to Herring, ending recount
- Obenshain to concede Virginia AG race
- Mega Millions players dream of a green Christmas with lottery jackpot at $636 million
- Obenshain raises ballot security issue in Va.
Latest Blog Entries
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow