Continued from page 1

This link shows what our veterans are entitled to but is not available to our Kentucky vets. My husband and many others have been on the waiting list for more than two years for this help.I called and found that the Home Health Aide program is available at the VA hospitals in Spokane, Wash., Indianapolis, Ind., Memphis, Tenn.

Spokane is where our daughter lives. If Terry could handle it and if I had the money, I would move us there to be near family. Our daughter would gladly help. He then would be able to make use of the veterans health-care benefit for the Home Health Aide and Respite Care benefit he’s entitled to.

Veterans are entitled 30 days a year of respite care (no funds again) but not for veterans who go to Robley Rex VA Medical Center, Louisville, Ky.

According the VA website:

“Home Health Aide Care includes: Homemakers and Home Health Aides are for veterans who need skilled services, case management, and assistance with activities of daily living (e.g., bathing and getting dressed) or instrumental activities of daily living (e.g., fixing meals and taking medicines); are isolated, or their caregiver is experiencing burden.

“Homemaker and Home Health Aides services can be used in combination with other Home and Community Based Services. Homemaker Home Health Aides work for an organization that has a contract with VA. The services of a Homemaker or Home Health Aide can help veterans remain living in their own home and can serve veterans of any age.”

Thank you for any help you can advise.

Carol H.
Louisville, Ky.

Dear Carol H.:

You raised many interesting points in your letter. I have referred your inquiry to my friends at the Paralyzed Veterans of America, who are known for their expertise these areas.

They will call you shortly to offer their assistance in properly presenting your husband’s claim for establishing service connection for multiple sclerosis and possibly other issues.

I have also sent your missive to the Under Secretary of Health at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Send letters to Sgt. Shaft, c/o John Fales, P.O. Box 65900, Washington, D.C. 20035-5900; fax 301/622-3330, call 202/257-5446 or email