- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
AP source: Winter Classic is coming to DC in 2015
WASHINGTON (AP) - A person familiar with the situation says the Winter Classic is coming to Washington in 2015.
The NHL’s annual New Year’s Day showcase will be played in the nation’s capital for the first time.
The person Friday confirmed the news to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is expected to make a formal announcement Saturday.
Leonsis has lobbied to host the game for several years. The Capitals played in the 2011 game as the visiting team against Pittsburgh.
The D.C. area has several potential sites to host the game, including Nationals Park, RFK Stadium and FedEx Field.
Washington radio station 106.7 The Fan first reported Washington was getting an outdoor game, and The Washington Post reported that it would be the Winter Classic.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.