- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Mentally ill not more likely to kill
Question of the Day
The national news media should report more facts whenever they cover stories having to do with mass shooters being mentally ill (“Aaron Alexis’ history renews debate between mental issues, gun crimes,” Web, Sept. 18).
This includes, of course, this week’s Navy Yard shooting. If I were to rely solely on the coverage I have seen over the past few years, I would assume every mentally ill person is a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment. Actually, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, 57.7 million Americans have suffered from a mental illness in the past 12 months. That is 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older. Furthermore, a person with a severe mental illness is four times more likely to be a victim of a crime than to commit a crime.
Come on, news media, quit adding to the stigma that makes mental illness scarier, and report all the facts.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
Get Breaking Alerts
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Jesse Jackson hits Obama for putting immigrant children first
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos