- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s defense lawyers plead for more time to fight death penalty
Attorneys for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appealed to a judge on Monday to grant them more time to mount a defense against the death penalty.
They argued in federal court that prosecutors haven’t provided them with key information they need to submit a proper claim against the death penalty, The Associated Press reported. The report didn’t detail what evidence Tsarnaev’s attorneys have yet to receive, except to say that it was relevant to the argument that the suspect doesn’t deserve to be put to death.
In response, one prosecutor told the judge that it’s been six months since the April 15 bombing attack — more than a “reasonable” amount of time to launch such a defense.
Prosecutors right now are set to make their recommendation — whether or not to go for the death penalty — to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. by Oct. 31. Mr. Holder will make the final determination.
Three people were killed in the terrorist attack in Boston. More than 260 were injured, including several who lost limbs.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.