- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Manny Machado carted off after serious leg injury
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Baltimore Orioles‘ trip to Tampa Bay ended up more damaging than they could have ever imagined.
All-Star third baseman Manny Machado went down with a potentially serious leg injury, Alexi Casilla left with a head injury and the Orioles were pushed to the brink of being eliminated from the AL wild-race Monday with a 5-4 loss to the Rays.
“It was a tough four days and it culminated in a lot of bad stuff today,” Brian Roberts said. “The losses and the injuries and feeling like we had a good chance coming in to Tampa, to walk out with this kind of feeling is tough for everybody.”
James Loney’s pinch-hit home run off Tommy Hunter ended the series for the Orioles, who fell five behind the idle Cleveland Indians for the second wild card with six games left to play. Tampa leads the Indians by a game.
Manager Buck Showalter tried to stay positive all weekend but found it difficult after this loss.
“I don’t want to say depressing; it probably is,” Showalter said. “But more what’s going on right now (in the locker room) is teammate to teammate, with two guys going down in the lineup.”
Both injuries occurred during the seventh inning. Machado’s left leg buckled when he stepped on first base running out an infield single. He was taken off on a stretcher.
“I’m sure we won’t get a full diagnosis until we get an MRI back in Baltimore (on Tuesday),” Showalter said while acknowledging that “it certainly doesn’t look very promising right now.”
Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon, who had a better view of Machado’s collapse, had a more stark analysis.
“It’s horrible,” Maddon said. “Hate to see that. This young man blows out his knee, possibly, and then this collision in right field. You can see how badly they wanted it, too.”
Casilla, playing second base, collided with right fielder Nick Markakis while chasing Wil Myers’ two-run single in the bottom of the seventh. Casilla actually caught the ball for what would have been the third out, but couldn’t hold onto it when his head struck Markakis’ thigh.
“I thought about doing a slide, saw him out of the corner of my eye, tried to pull up and get out of the way,” Markakis said. “It was just bang bang, him coming full speed, me coming full speed. It was like trying to stop a train on a dime. I’m not a doctor or anything, but when he was out there, I could have sworn he was knocked out. He was laying there; (Adam Jones) and I were trying to get him to sit still until somebody got out there. He kind of looked dazed and confused.”
Casilla finished the inning, but was taken out in the eighth.
“I probably should have taken him out but I didn’t know what he had hit until between innings,” Showalter said. “He’s going to get a CAT scan and stay overnight here, not travel. He got a little foggy-headed between innings and had to come out of there.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.