- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Find missing Benghazi security requests
In the five months leading up to the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, there were two bombings on the consulate there. One blew a big hole in a wall; following it, U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens requested more security. Instead, the number of security personnel was reduced. Then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has testified that millions of cables came to her office, and because she could not read them all, she did not see the security requests.
As one might expect, our venerable State Department has a way of winnowing out cables that need the secretary’s attention. It is highly probable that the security requests went to the Libyan desk officer, who read them and sent them up the chain of command. Meetings were surely held. For some reason, the people allegedly at fault have not been punished. We all can guess what the reason is: They know too much.
Our investigating lawmakers need to find the 2012 desk officer and ask what he did with the security requests and what happened afterward. Getting the name should be easy. Just phone the former deputy chief of mission, Gregory Hicks.
EUGENE G. WINDCHY
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers