- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- NATO sends surveillance planes to watch Ukraine
- Climate change not a top concern of Americans, poll shows
- GM faces federal investigation for slow recall that led to 13 deaths
- Iran president reaches out to Oman on friendship tour
- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
- Facebook HQ locked down; employees searched as police field threat
- Glenn Ford free, after serving 30 years for murder he didn’t commit
- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
Poachers in Zimbabwe poison 87 elephants for ivory: report
Zimbabwe officials reported that 87 elephants have been poisoned with cyanide by ivory poachers in Hwange National Park since May.
The poachers poisoned natural salt licks to kill the protected animals, said Caroline Washaya-Moyo, public relations manager for Zimbabwe's Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.
Authorities arrested five suspected poachers last month after 41 elephants were found dead in the park, the report said. Three have been convicted.
The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force seeks stiffer penalties for the country’s poachers.
“They need to be given some extensive jail time. If it was, they wouldn’t carry on doing it,” said the organization’s chairman, Johnny Rodrigues, adding that all of the animals that feed on the elephant carcasses face death as well.
Police suspect there could be more elephant carcasses in the park that have not yet been discovered, CNN reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Middle school students arrested for pot candy: report
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
- Men's Journal contributor Matthew Power dies of apparent heatstroke in Uganda
- Obama gets advance copies of 'Game of Thrones'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Search for missing Malaysian airliner widens as mystery deepens
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obamacare 3 million shy of target with 19 days left to sign up
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again