Continued from page 5

CHUCK TODD:
19:22:39:00: I know, I know. We’re — we’re — time’s up.

TERRY MCAULIFFE:
19:22:39:00: 33,000 new jobs created, Chuck. This is so important for Virginia —

CHUCK TODD:
19:22:42:00: I — I just want to clarify, no price tag?

TERRY MCAULIFFE:
19:22:45:00: It’s a priority. What —

CHUCK TODD:
19:22:46:00: There’s no — there’s no cost to it. You don’t have a number?

TERRY MCAULIFFE:
19:22:47:00: This is why it’s important. Determine first how much you have. Then you can do it to your priorities.

CHUCK TODD:
19:22:51:00: All right, the next question, Aaron Gilchrist for — Mr. Cuccinelli.

AARON GILCHRIST:
19:22:54:00: Mr. Cuccinelli, as has been mentioned, your economic plan cuts taxes by $1.4 billion, when it’s fully implemented. And you propose creating a commission to find ways to pay for the big tax cut. How do you respond to Virginians who say, “I’m not voting for a gov — I’m voting for a governor, I’m not voting for a commission”? Isn’t leadership about providing some specifics, in this case, on tax breaks and loopholes that would go away?

KEN CUCCINELLI:
19:23:19:00: Yes. My tax relief plan was designed to spur job growth and to — more job creation — put more money in the hands of our businesses, so they can reinvest it, and in our fam — in our family’s budget. It’s been analyzed and found to grow about 58,000 jobs if we can fully implement it. It’ll re — it’ll include lowering the personal income tax to 5%, the business income tax to 4%. And by the way, I would note there, North Carolina two months ago passed a package where their business income tax will be half of ours if we don’t act.

19:23:54:00: And even if we achieve the goals I’ve set out of getting down to 4%, they will still get under us if they meet their revenue estimates. My friend, Doug Gansler, on the other side of the river just announced for governor in Maryland, is talking about the fact that Virginia’s eating Maryland alive in this front and that they need to bring their taxes down to compete with us.

19:24:14:00: We need to compete and do it effectively. I’ll eliminate about 15% of corporate loopholes and tax breaks that don’t work as well as the other 85%. And we’ll also cap growth and spending at about three and a half percent to pay for this package. This isn’t the federal government. We don’t print money. So both sides of the ledger have to match. The Washington Post gave my opponent three Pinocchios for the statement you heard tonight of “He has no way to pay for it.” Aaron, we’ve put a process in place that will accomplish the financial goals we need to to do the tax cuts. And if we don’t get the cuts —

CHUCK TODD:
19:24:52:00: Thank you, sir.

KEN CUCCINELLI:
19:24:52:00: —we don’t get to do the taxes.

CHUCK TODD:
19:24:53:00: 90 seconds, Mr. McAuliffe.

TERRY MCAULIFFE:
19:24:56:00: If you take the attorney general’s plan, Virginia will be in financial ruin. He did not — he did not support the governor on the transportation, the bipartisan transportation bill. I was all in, $6 billion we’re gonna be able now to spend on transportation. When everybody drove in here to this beautiful hall, you went under l — underneath the new Silver Line, which my opponent said — he was the only statewide official to come out against it. And he said he would actually kill it after it was halfway completed.

Story Continues →