- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
Rep. Peter King: Sen. Ted Cruz tapped into ‘dark strain in the American political psyche’
They found he placed toward the back of the pack among the 2016-ers — behind the likes of Mr. Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the party’s 2012 vice presidential candidate.
For his part, Mr. Ryan has kept his cards close to the vest in the Obamacare fight, telling The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle newspaper this week that he is waiting on the Senate to act before he makes up his mind.
“If they don’t repeal Obamacare, defund or delay it, then we’ll adjust our strategy accordingly and keep pressing for it in the House,” he said.
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has warned against a government shutdown, while Mr. Christie told CBS for a segment scheduled to air Monday, “I don’t think you hear responsible Republican leaders advocating a shutdown of the government.”
Mr. Cruz has found some allies among his potential rivals. Indeed, Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida gave Mr. Cruz periodic breathers during his filibuster and said they supported his strategy.
Mr. Paul was effectively returning a favor to Mr. Cruz, who helped Mr. Paul early this year during his 13-hour filibuster against the nomination of John O. Brennan as CIA director, threatening to talk until the administration clarified its position on the use of drones on American soil.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Sarah Palin endorses Ben Sasse in Nebraska GOP primary
- Florida election emblematic of new reality of money
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
- Former Iowa GOP chief takes post with Rand Paul PAC
Latest Blog Entries
- Most New Jersey voters say Gov. Chris Christie lied
- Political handicapper: GOP poised to win House seats in 2014
- Axelrod: Christie can recover from the bridge scandal
- ACLJ: Appointment of Obama supporter to lead IRS probe 'troubling'
- Americans support minimum wage increase, extending jobless benefits: poll
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- BRUCE: The power of bossy
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014